A USC study, conducted by well-known radio poisonality and MD, Dr. Drew Pinsky, host of the nationally syndicated "Loveline" radio show, used the standard Narcissistic Personality Inventory (NPI) conducted anonymously with 200 guests of Dr. Pinsky's show.
So what did the study find besides the obvious?
- People with narcissistic tendencies seem to be attracted to the entertainment industry rather than the industry creating narcissists.
- Narcissists generally crave attention, are overconfident of their abilities, lack empathy, and can evince erratic behavior.
- Celebrities participating in the study had statistically significantly higher narcissism scores compared to aspiring business leaders (MBA students) and the general population.
- Reality TV personalities had the highest overall narcissism scores when compared with actors, musicians and comedians.
- While men are more likely than women to evince narcissistic traits in the general population, the authors found that, among celebrities, females were more narcissistic than their male counterparts.
I, for one, am at peace knowing that celebrities have a garden-variety personality disorder just as teenagers do.