Friday, September 15, 2006

Doncha just love art?

If you're fond of Princess Diana, you'd best not read this. The Daily Mail published a story about a play in Berlin that featured...well, here's what it said:
Theatregoers in the German capital Berlin walked out of a controversial play about Princess Diana that showed her in bed with two Down's Syndrome men while the Queen was portrayed by a circus dwarf.

A film version will be released next August to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Diana's death. "I have very interesting information that she really died in London, not in Paris, and reconstruct this new truth," [director Christoph] Schlingensief said before the curtain went up.

"It can probably never be exactly clarified what happened in that hour of her death. Art has the freedom to interpret this."

Sounds like intellectual onanism to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know doubt recall, in The Fountainhead a play entitled (if I remember correctly) "No Skin Off My Nose" became very popular. Although Ayn Rand never mentioned specifics about the production, I imagine that it shares a lot of similarities to this play about Princess Di.

Steve Erbach said...

Jessica,

You're too generous: I've never read any of Ayn Rand's novels! Heinlein, yes, if we're talking about libertarian-inspired themes.

By the way, take a peek at http://www.swerbach.com/MirrorImage/ and tell me if that first poster for "Ada" doesn't remind you of Ayn Rand.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
The Town Crank

Anonymous said...

I am surprised. Being the big libertarian that you are, I figured you had to read *something* by her. Now you've ruined my whole attempt to draw a comparison between those two plays >:(

You're right--that first poster does look somewhat like her (though more attractive, because--face it--Ayn was not a looker).

Steve Erbach said...

Jessica,

» Being the big libertarian that you are «

Yup! All 21 stone!

I was thinking about this picture of Ayn Rand.

Steve Erbach
The Town Crank