Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I love stories like this XXXIV

The worthy administrators of Carroll High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana, have expelled senior Jeff Fraser for writing a satirical book critical of said administration:
Fraser, a 17-year-old senior and founder of the Allen County Teenage Republicans, wrote a book titled “Carroll” that was modeled after Jon Stewart’s book “America.” The book blasted the administration for its lack of diversity, criticized teachers and their methods and singled out a few students in what was meant to be a satire...

This story caught my eye. Immediately I thought of looking for Fraser's book on-line. A quick Google search for 'Jeff Fraser Carroll' turned up nothing. I located the web site for the Allen County Teenage Republicans, but I wouldn't recommend going there. Lots of links that lead to popup ads, and the Search feature doesn't work. Worse, there's no news about what's happened to Fraser or his book.

I then thought of looking for blogs that might mention Fraser. I found one on BlogSpot: http://allencountylp.blogspot.com/. Blogger Mike Sylvester is a libertarian candidate for the Northwest Allen County School Board and he says he's going to write an editorial on Fraser's predicament. I left a comment asking if he knew where to find a copy of "Carroll."

I then wrote to Kelly Soderlund, the reporter from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette who covered the story.

I finally found the blog for the Allen County Teenage Republicans which is run by Fraser himself. I asked him directly if there was a copy of "Carroll" available on-line. I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to get my hands on a copy. I'm curious as to what could possibly make the administration expel the kid.

No comments: