Thursday, February 08, 2007

Archived commentary: The lottery

From the archives:

What would you do with your life if you won the lottery?

(published 20-Oct-2003, Appleton Post-Crescent)

My stepfather once said that if he ever won big in the lottery he'd fold up his tent and steal away in the middle of the night to avoid his new "friends" and those with their hands out. He had a point. I know that I'd worry about the safety of my children. It might cause me to buy the first handguns I've ever owned and make sure my family knew how to use them. Once security was taken care of, however, I'd remember that I've said some strong things about government-funded public schools. I'd put that lottery money where my mouth is and start a private school. One of the biggest mistakes we made as a nation was to entrust the education of our children to the government. I'd devote the rest of my life doing the best I could to offer an alternative to as many as possible.

No comments: