Here are the top 10 reasons public schooling is better than home-schooling:
1) Most parents were educated in the under-funded public school system and so are not smart enough to home-school their own children.
2) Children who receive one-on-one home-schooling will learn more than others, giving them an unfair advantage in the marketplace. This is undemocratic.
3) How can children learn to defend themselves unless they have to fight off bullies on a daily basis?
4) Ridicule from other children is important to the socialization process.
5) Children in public schools can get more practice "Just Saying No" to drugs, cigarettes and alcohol.
6) Fluorescent lighting may have significant health benefits.
7) Publicly asking permission to go to the bathroom teaches young people their place in society.
8) The fashion industry depends upon the peer pressure that only public schools can generate.
9) Public schools foster cultural literacy, passing on important traditions like the singing of "Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg ..."
10) Home-schooled children may not learn important office career skills, like how to sit still for six hours straight.
Saturday, November 26, 2005
One not to forget
On election day, November 5, 2002, a letter to the editor of the Appleton Post-Crescent was published. The letter was written by my fellow Neenah-ite (Neenah-onian?), David George. This should get wide distribution: