Friday, April 06, 2007

Great speeches by Democrats

Best of the Web Today often features a recent quotation by a leader of the Democrats at the bottom of a brief, but trenchant, list of quotations from past Democrat leaders. Here's that short list:

  • "One man with courage makes a majority." – attributed to Andrew Jackson
  • "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." – Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • "The buck stops here." – Harry S. Truman
  • "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." – John F. Kennedy

Note that last one. Now note the following question posed to Presidential candidate, John Edwards, at the University of New Hampshire on Monday:
I need to be able to look to my leader and see words of encouragement, words of hope. I need to be able to trust that person. I need to be able to know that I'm going to be grow [sic in transcript] in a world that's not going to be full of hate and prejudice and racism and to know that I matter, that I wasn't just dumped in this world for no particular reason whatsoever.

I'm busting my ass in school, I work 25 to 30 hours a week, and it's just me and my dog. So what can you do for the people that are in my situation, that are trying their damnedest in school, wanting to go to grad school, is going to be hit with the loans--and, uh, I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I don't know what I want to be when I'm an adult. But I'm 22 right now, so people are like, "Honey, you are an adult." You know what? It's about me. It's about me voting for you or supporting somebody who's going to be the next president. So it's all about me right now. Just give me something.

This, reportedly was greeted with a standing ovation. I guess the questioner never heard of President Kennedy.

No comments: