- Communication usually fails -- except by chance. Corollary: If you are satisfied that your communication is bound to succeed, then the communication is bound to fail.
- If a message can be understood in different ways, it will be understood in just the way that does the most harm.
- There is always somebody who knows better than you what you meant by your message.
- The more communication there is, the more difficult it is for communication to succeed. Corollary: The more communication there is, the more difficult it is for communication to succeed. Corollary: The more communication there is, the more misunderstanding will occur.
- In mass communication it is not important how things are; the important thing is how things seem to be.
- The importance of a news item is inversely correlated with the square of the distance.
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Wiio's Laws of Communications
A blast from the past. These "laws" come from a book called, "The Official Explanations," published in 1980.